Saturday, March 6, 2010

Before I put my UK adventure to rest, I just have to share a few shots of the work that was turned out during the 4 days of hand felting jewelry and beads. Isn't it amazing how Louise's brandy new, still damp, felt bracelet matches the dress she wore?
Lustrous silk "balls" float weightlessly from Lynn's fine felt necklace.

Becs joined us for just one day, stealing herself away from Inkberrow Design Center. She made these wonderful sherbet-colored complex cane beads. She brought Di with her, who made a stunning felt bangle bracelet, carved to reveal its colorful core and adorned with vintage lucite flowers.
A day into the workshop, a few questions arose about the materials list. "Why aluminum foil?", they asked. This of course led to conjecture about why we (americans) say the name of this element wrong. (a-lu-mi-num vs. a-lu-min-i-um) Inspired by the way Pier Voulkos sculpts armatures for her polymer clay beads, I demonstrated how I use it for some of my felted sculptures and beads. Seasoned Welsh feltmaker, Sian, explored this technique, producing several pieces. Included in her stash of materials were some tubular-knitted wire ribbons and a similar item made of nylon. I'll have to get my hands on these items.

No comments:

Post a Comment